Friday, September 29, 2006

Title: Are You Rich? / Topic: Priorities

Today’s Reading: Zechariah 4; Zechariah 5; Zechariah 6; Luke 12

Scripture: Luke 12:21 "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."

Observation: When I read this verse I am afraid for so many of the people I know who call themselves Christians. I would expect that non believers would be wrapped up in this world and the stuff of this world, but I am increasingly alarmed at the high level of materialistic thinking that I find in so many believers today. We will focus on a purchase for hours, days, weeks, and months -- be it a new car we want, or a boat, or a big screen tv, or that new house, or whatever. But ask us to focus on a spiritual goal or pray for a need over an extended period of time and we just aren't interested -- most Christians do not have any real spiritual stamina.

Application: I want to be "rich toward God." What good is it to get the stuff of this world and have nothing in heaven? It makes no sense yet so many do it.

Bottom Line: Put God first and keep Him first. Start every day on my knees, and go there frequently throughout my day. I must seek Him and His will moment by moment -- living in the "now" with God -- taking Him with me everywhere. Invest myself in God -- my time, energy and money. True riches are only found in Him.

Prayer: Lord, I give my heart, my mind, my soul, my life to You. Once again I am brought to the realization of my need to constantly be refocusing on You. Help me to train my heart to fix itself on You. Lord, I desire to have great riches in You and Your kingdom.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Thanks Mike

Anonymous said...

So true. The question isn't whether
god wants us to have "stuff" or not; He actually promises us that He will bless us in every way, including materially, IF our focus is on Him. Your point about spiritual stamina is well taken. Can we sustain prayer over time like we can our desire for whatever new "toy" we want? If not, we need to do some serious evaluating of our priorities.

Anonymous said...

Along with this I'm convicted of how short our memories are of the faithfulness of God. When we can take our minds off of the material, it's amazing how often God provides. Still we (I) have trouble getting back to that place of real dependence and trust in his provision.