Sunday, September 24, 2006

Title: Amazing Words / Topic: Forgiveness

Today’s Reading: Ezra 1; Psalm 84; Psalm 85; Luke 7

Scripture: Luke 7:47-50
47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."
48 Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
49 The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"
50 Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Observation: These are amazing words: "Your sins are forgiven." I think that there are no more powerful words that could be spoken. And not just spoken, but actually done. The people around Jesus thought He was overstepping. They didn't understand, and they didn't receive forgiveness. The woman knew that He meant what He said -- and He could and would deliver on His word. And she received forgiveness. Oh how sweet that must have been for her! The removal of the tarnish of years of broken living. Oh happy day!

Application: This is the reason I follow Jesus. There is no other one who can forgive sins. Only Jesus. And He delights in removing the weights and burdens from my shoulders -- all I need do is love much and believe. Like this woman. This woman bowed at His feet. She poured a fortune's worth of expensive perfume on Him. She wept and kissed Him. She didn't care what anyone thought. She just wanted Jesus.
'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to take Him at His word
Just to rest upon His promise
Just to know "thus saith the Lord"

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus precious Jesus
O for grace to trust Him more
Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for sending Jesus to make it possible that my sins might be forgiven. And thank You, Jesus, for dying for my sins, and taking the penalty due me. I thank You that the words, "Your sins are forgiven" applies to my life because of the blood of Jesus. May I live in the joy and power of Your forgiveness every day and may I extend forgiveness to others.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

They are the sweetest words a person can hear.