Thursday, September 28, 2006

Title: Hinder Or Help? / Topic: Spiritual Leadership

Today’s Reading: Zechariah 1; Zechariah 2; Zechariah 3; Luke 11

Scripture: Luke 11:52 "Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering."

Observation: These self appointed spiritual leaders have not only NOT entered into God's truth and relationship with Him, they have blocked the way for others!

Application: Spiritual leaders have a serious responsibility. Their actions and example have grave implications far beyond themselves. The destiny of others hangs in the balance. What this speaks to me as a spiritual leader is that I must first make sure that I am doing all I can to keep my relationship with Jesus real and authentic, and then get out of the way to let others have direct access to Him for themselves. My words, actions, and attitudes can hinder others who are seeking. I also believe the flip side is true: my actions can encourage those who are seeking the Lord. Of course, that is my goal in my role as a spiritual leader.

Prayer: Lord, keep me close to You. Open my eyes to anything in my leadership that would be a hindrance to anyone who is genuinely seeking You. Help me to distinguish between what is a productive encouragement and what is an unproductive deterrent in what I do, say, and model for those You have called me to lead.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

One of our greatest strengths as a leader is that you are humble and teachable. It is one of the things I admire most about you. And yet, when necessary, you use the authority you have been given as pastor to correct and direct with the Spirit of grace.