Saturday, October 21, 2006

Title: Five Strong Men / Topic: Team Ministry

Today’s Reading: Job 9; Job 10; Acts 13; Acts 14

Scripture: Acts 13:1-3
1 In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 3 So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.

Observation: I just love this part of the story. What I especially like is this team of "prophets and teachers" at Antioch -- five strong men who were the ministering team that led the church there. I imagine the interaction and support that they experienced and how the church had the benefit of these five mature leaders. And they shared in the exercise of spiritual disciplines as it says, "while they were worshiping the Lord and fasting..." And it was in this setting that the Holy Spirit called Paul (Saul) and Barnabas to go and plant churches to the far flung regions of the world.

Application: I believe in team ministry. I know that our western church culture has adopted a pastor-leader model, but I think the best structure is a multiple-leader team with strong spiritual interaction and the ability for each member of the team to act as pastor as the need arises. While I have many excellent members of my team, we are not to this point of near interchangeability. I am thankful for the wonderful men and women that God has blessed me with and I look forward to growing as a team in the sharing of spiritual disciplines as well as ministry roles and responsibilities.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that church is not a one-man show, but a team event. Thank You for the excellent team that You have blessed me with. Help us to grow to the fullness of the sharing of ministry that will produce multiplication and the full spectrum of giftedness that is only possible with a group effort. Make me more of what You want me to be, and make our team all that You want us to be. And give us souls, Lord. Give us an abundant harvest of souls.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

We need to be a part of changing the western church model. I'm not quite sure how to go about it but we absolutely need to be working as a team. Our effectiveness is greatly multiplied when we do.