Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Title: A Man Of Principle / Topic: Character

Today’s Reading: Job 1; Job 2; Acts 6; Acts 7

Scripture: Job 1:20-22, 2:9-10
Job 1:20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."
22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

Job 2:9 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"
10 He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"
In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Observation: These are two amazing passages of scripture. The first records Job's response to some bad news. (This is the understatement of the year.) One messenger after another has delivered horrible tales of loss to Job's flocks, herds, servants, and the most devastating report, the death of all his children. He responds with the remarkable declaration, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." The second passage occurs after Job is stricken with head to toe painful sores, and his wife verbally attacks him. He shows his understanding of his place beneath the Lordship of God. "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

Application: Job is a great example of living by principle without being affected by adverse circumstances. He truly sees himself as a servant of God, and submits himself, for better of worse, to the Lordship of God in his life. I want to be a man under God -- living a consistent testimony regardless of circumstances.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for giving us this wonderful testimony of your servant, Job. May I keep a deep understanding of my place of submission to Your Lordship as Job did. (But, Lord, please don't smite me with sores. Thanks.)
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I love Job, his pure faith is inspirational when faced with the overwhelming obstacles the world tendsto present.
Thank you Mike for taking the time every morning to share your thoughts.

Cynthia Stipech said...

We again were impressed with the same suject matter. I so enjoy reading your incisive insights from the Word. Job lived by his principles and was unshaken under stresses much greater than anyone I've ever personally known has had to endure. I want to have that level of integrity.