Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Title: The Blessings / Topic: Revelation

Today’s Reading: Revelation 1; Revelation 2; Revelation 3; Revelation 4

Scripture: Revelation 1:3 Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Observation: Two blessings are pronounced here in verse three. First a blessing for the simple act of reading "this prophecy," that is, the book of Revelation. The second blessing is for "those who hear it and take [it] to heart." And there is a final word that is both a motivation and a warning: "the time is near."

Application: Well, if the time was near in John's day, it is much nearer now. So the message is to get the blessings by reading Revelation, hearing it (I take this to mean letting the message penetrate my heart and mind), and taking it to heart (which means applying the message by heeding the warnings and following the instructions given).

Bottom line: Read it, hear it, do it!

Prayer: Lord, I am thankful for this message. I ask that You give me a greater desire to abide in the word and a greater ability to focus without distraction upon it. Help me to get the message into my mind and heart and life in such a way that I receive the full benefits that come from Your word. I look forward to Your appearing.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Help us Lord, to not only read and apply the message of this prophecy to ourselves, but to also share it with others so that they can be assured of being in heaven with you.