Friday, December 29, 2006

Title: Ultimate Harvest / Topic: Last Days

Today’s Reading: Revelation 10; Revelation 11; Revelation 12; Revelation 13; Revelation 14

Scripture: Revelation 14:14-20
14 I looked, and there before me was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one "like a son of man" with a crown of gold on his head and a sharp sickle in his hand. 15 Then another angel came out of the temple and called in a loud voice to him who was sitting on the cloud, "Take your sickle and reap, because the time to reap has come, for the harvest of the earth is ripe." 16 So he who was seated on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested.
17 Another angel came out of the temple in heaven, and he too had a sharp sickle. 18 Still another angel, who had charge of the fire, came from the altar and called in a loud voice to him who had the sharp sickle, "Take your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of grapes from the earth's vine, because its grapes are ripe." 19 The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God's wrath. 20 They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses' bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia [That is, about 180 miles].

Observation: The images detailed in Revelation 10-14 speak of frightening events which are yet to come. Probably soon. They center around Jerusalem and are the culmination of the ages-old conflict between good and evil. As I understand the reading, good is represented by angels, the two witnesses, the woman and her child, and the Lamb, while evil is represented by the dragon, the fallen stars, and the two beasts. To me it is clear that these events involve the nation of Israel and attacks against them. It seems the whole world is arrayed in opposition to them. The scripture above spoke to me that there is coming a day of ultimate harvest -- a day when all things will be made right -- a day of final justice, when "what goes around comes around" is fully realized. And it is a bloody and fearful day: 180 miles of blood. God takes His holy vengeance upon His enemies, those who resisted and fought against Him and used their power to hurt others. Also included are all those who simply went along with them.

Application: The message to me is that I must take a stand with God always. It will not be easy and ultimate will probably cost me my life. But to not do so will result in becoming God's enemy and the object of His wrath. I want to be an object of His grace and mercy.

Prayer: Lord, have mercy upon me a sinner. Strengthen me so that I may always stand with You and for You, even in the face of mighty opposition. Lord, bring many people to You -- use me in making this happen.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Better to suffer a painful death once for a short amount of time than to suffer terribly for eternity. Suffering happens either way, but the first choice gets me grace and peace and eternal joy after the suffering; the other choice delays the suffering for ahile but ends in eternal torment that goes on forever---no thanks!