Monday, December 25, 2006

Title: The Great Defender / Topic: Intercession

Merry Christmas To All!

Today’s Reading:
1 John 1; 1 John 2; 1 John 3; 1 John 4; 1 John 5

Scripture: 1 John 2:1-2
1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Observation: John is spiritual and practical. "I write this to you so that you will not sin." That's spiritual. The good spiritual leader desires to lead his people in pure sin-free living. "But if anybody does sin..." That's practical. No matter how hard we may strive for perfection, we will never be totally free of sin. So John gives us the good news about our heavenly Defender, "Jesus Christ, the Righteous One" who is speaking "to the father in our defense."

Application: Hallelujah! This is truly good news. Our Savior is at the right hand of God and He is speaking on our behalf, in our defense. What great comfort for me and for all those who trust in the Lord for our salvation and our very future.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for the powerful defense you provide on my behalf. I do pray that You would strengthen me and all of Your people to lead lives of purity and holiness. But I am thankful that Jesus is there interceding for me. May I walk worthy of this great Redeemer.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen! I'm so incredibly grateful for the grace of God that is so practical and his empowerment to keep me from sin in the first place. Thankfully, he allows us to grow in perfection. We don't have to attain it all at once. In fact, we won't fully attain it until we are physically with him again.