Sunday, December 10, 2006

Title: The Guard / Topic: Spiritual Walk

Today’s Reading: 2 Timothy 1; 2 Timothy 2; 2 Timothy 3; 2 Timothy 4

Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:14 Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

Observation: These words from Paul to young Timothy are interesting. Here we find the idea of a "deposit", that is, like a down payment. God has made a down payment and Timothy has to guard it. But not all by himself, the Holy Spirit is there to help.

Application: I want my Lord to finish the transaction on me. While I am glad that He's put down a deposit, I want to make sure He makes all the payments. And I have my co-pay to take care of too. To insure that this all happens, I must be a guard. That means I must be vigilant to guard against any threat from without or within. There are a range of activities and strategies that are required. These include everything from staying alert, to listening to the Spirit, to enlisting the help of others to watch my blind spots. They must all be done. God wants His deposit to be wisely placed and to bring a sure eventual return.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be the guard You want me to be. May I be ever vigilant and relentless in my pursuit of Your best for me. Keep me from danger and surround me with great helpers.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Great blog. Sometimes we are so non-chalant about our spiritual future. We think that if we just believe the correct doctrines our destiny is forever secured but the teaching of the Bible doesn't support that view, in my opinion. We have to be taking action, living out the Word and having it change us for there to be a "return"on God's ivestment.