Friday, December 15, 2006

Title: The Inner Battle / Topic: Temptation

Today’s Reading: James 1; James 2; James 3; James 4; James 5

Scripture: James 1:13-15
13 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Observation: It's not God's fault. The primary source of my temptations is not hard to find. It's me. Even though I have known and followed the Lord consistently since I was six years old, I still have to deal with the problem that James describes here. "...By his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed." What follows is a progression from evil desire to sin and to eventual, inevitable death.

Application: Whenever I read scriptures like this, it reconfirms my life message: Real accountable relationships are essential to stay on track with God. This is a must for every person who wants to walk the narrow road of righteousness and holiness.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that You honestly tell me through Your word what is going on. Keep me in touch with the reality of my own need for You and for the continual application of Your grace and truth to transform me into the image and likeness of Jesus Christ. I thank You for those who help me to stay on track with You. May I help them as they help me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Thank you for being a lifelong accountability partner who loves me but also challenges me to pursue and obey God. You don't let me indulge bad attitudes or behaviors. It's the most important way in which you can love me, though it's not always my favorite way. I know I will see you in heaven because of it.