Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Title: Another Night With The Frogs / Topic: Stupid Pride

Today’s Reading: Exodus 6; Exodus 7; Exodus 8; Luke 23

Scripture: Exodus 8:8-10
8 Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Pray to the LORD to take the frogs away from me and my people, and I will let your people go to offer sacrifices to the LORD."
9 Moses said to Pharaoh, "I leave to you the honor of setting the time for me to pray for you and your officials and your people that you and your houses may be rid of the frogs, except for those that remain in the Nile."
10 "Tomorrow," Pharaoh said.

Observation: Pharaoh and all Egypt is sick of the plague of frogs. Millions of frogs cover the land, homes, furniture -- frogs are everywhere. Pharaoh asks for relief and Moses says, "You set the time for the frogs to go away." Pharaoh says, "Tomorrow."

Application: Now if I was covered in slimy, smelly frogs, and I had the option of setting the time, I would say "RIGHT NOW!" Why did Pharaoh say "tomorrow"? I think it must have been pride -- stupid pride. It truly makes no sense. But pride often causes people to do things that are damaging and detrimental to their well being. Pride is deadly and ugly. I wonder if Pharaoh enjoyed that one more night with the frogs.

Prayer: Lord, deliver us from the folly of our pride. Help us to make wise choices and not worry about what others think of us. Give us humility and wisdom. And help us to speed our deliverance from the things that plague our lives.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: