Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Title: Opened Minds / Topic: Understanding Truth

Today’s Reading: Exodus 9; Exodus 10; Exodus 11; Luke 24

Scripture: Luke 24:44-45
44 He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."
45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.

Observation: The risen Jesus is explaining what is going on to the disciples, who are at a loss to understand. Verse 45 caught my attention.

Application: I think that this is still true today. Unless God opens a person's mind, they cannot understand the word. And God won't pry open someone's mind, they must be humble and open to it. The proud person's rejection of the word is a self-fueled experience. They are not willing to let God have access to their minds so they remain a closed book as far a God is concerned and the Bible remains a closed book as far as they are concerned.

Bottom line: I must stay humble and teachable and ask God to open my mind so that I can understand more and deeper things of God.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, that You have a concern for people and a desire that they come to know You. Help me to be one who is always open to Your truth -- make me like a sponge for Your truth. And help me to lead others and to be persuasive and convincing for You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

We must pray for our hearts and minds to be open to whatever the Spirit would teach us and then also pray for others to be open also. Arrogance is the bain of spiritual growth.