Friday, January 26, 2007

Title: The Ideal Church / Topic: Spiritual Vitality

Today’s Reading: Exodus 14; Exodus 16; Acts 2

Scripture: Acts 2:42-47
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Observation: I just love this description of the first church. The excitement and vitality of this group of people is the image in my mind of what the ideal church should be like. People meeting together every day, sharing their lives, their goods, their homes and loving just being together. The love they had was tangible and attractive to outsiders. Natural growth was taking place because people wanted to be a part of this wonderful place of love, acceptance, and fellowship.

Application: My desire is to lead our people into this kind of experience. I don't know how, but I want to learn.

Prayer: Lord, help me to get to the place where I can lead people into this kind of vibrant Christian community. I so long for the experience of contagious joy and excitement, with the resultant natural growth. Lord, lead us to this place of life in You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: