Thursday, January 18, 2007

Title: Bad Judge vs. Good God / Topic: Persistent Prayer

Today’s Reading: Genesis 44; Genesis 45; Genesis 46; Luke 18

Scripture: Luke 18:1, 7-8
1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

Observation: This is one of the rare cases where we are told the meaning of the parable before the parable is told. Jesus gives the parable of the unjust judge in which a corrupt judge gives justice to a widow because she is hounding him and the only way he can rid himself of the bother is to give her justice. The meaning is that we "should always pray and not give up."

Application: And the message is that if this unjust judge gives justice to the persistent widow, how much more will our loving and just Father God answer the persistent prayers of his people. But the problem with this is, we have to pray with persistence. Do we? No. At least I don't see much of it. I think that is why Jesus asks the question, "when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" In other words, Jesus was asking about us -- will Jesus, upon His return, find people who "cry out to him day and night"? That's a good question. I want to be that kind of person.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be a man of persistent prayer. Give me the ability to focus and dedicate myself to the pursuit of passionate prayer. I desire to see You do amazing things -- to bring justice to Your people. Help us to be seeking You with persistence. I know You will answer our needs.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: