Thursday, February 22, 2007

Title: Say It Again, Moses / Topic: Ritual

Today’s Reading: Numbers 10; Numbers 11; Psalm 27; Mark 1

Scripture: Numbers 10
35 Whenever the ark set out, Moses said,
"Rise up, O LORD!
May your enemies be scattered;
may your foes flee before you."
36 Whenever it came to rest, he said,
"Return, O LORD,
to the countless thousands of Israel."

Observation: Moses developed a little ritual for the going out and coming in of the ark as the Israelites wandered in the wilderness. He would say the same thing each time it set out and another thing each time it came to rest.

Application: There is a place for ritual and ceremony. I have not given much place in my life for it. But as I read this kind of thing in the Bible (and this kind of thing is in a lot of places throughout the Bible), it jars me a little and makes me think that I need to modify my ways of thinking and doing things.

Prayer: Lord, show me the place for ritual and ceremony. I want to do things in a way that help people develop a real and vital connection with You. I want to help people to know the reality of You and I think that ritual can help. Show me how best to communicate You to those I encounter every day and those I lead in my ministry.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: