Sunday, February 18, 2007

Title: The Inconsistent God? / Topic: God's Nature

Today’s Reading: Numbers 3; Numbers 4; Acts 25

Scripture: Numbers 3:14-16
14 The LORD said to Moses in the Desert of Sinai, 15 "Count the Levites by their families and clans. Count every male a month old or more." 16 So Moses counted them, as he was commanded by the word of the LORD.

Observation: Compare this passage to one from yesterday's reading: "The LORD had said to Moses: 'You must not count the tribe of Levi or include them in the census of the other Israelites.'" (Numbers 1:48-49) I think it is so interesting that one day God tells Moses, "Do not count the Levites," and another day God says, "Count the Levites." What gives?

Application: The thing that strikes me is that God is God and while it may appear inconsistent and nonsensical to me, God's perspective is much different and I must allow for His higher purpose and understanding. I also know that God is beyond my discovery. I know something about God, but not even close to everything. So for some things to be mysterious is OK with me. The parts of God that I have discovered are enough to let me know that He is worth living for.

Prayer: Lord, You are so interesting. I pray that You will help me to live in such a way that others find You interesting too. Forgive us for the sin of making You seem boring. Help us to knock it off and do You justice, particularly in the church.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: