Saturday, February 17, 2007

Title: It's Not Convenient / Topic: Excuses

Today’s Reading: Numbers 1; Numbers 2; Acts 24

Scripture: Acts 24:24-26
24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was a Jewess. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus. 25 As Paul discoursed on righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, "That's enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you." 26 At the same time he was hoping that Paul would offer him a bribe, so he sent for him frequently and talked with him.

Observation: "When I find it convenient..." That is how many people think about God and church. They are too busy right now. "I'll do it when I get a round to it," they say.

Application: And I do some of that too. I want to pray more, read the Bible more, read other books more, spend time in solitude more, meditate more, write and journal more. But I'm too busy right now. When I find it convenient, I'll get to it. This is a means to excuse what I should be doing. And it is an avoidance tactic to escape something that causes fear or resistance.

Bottom Line: You have to start -- today. It will never be convenient to do the best thing. If it's convenient, it's probably not the best. Take a step in the best direction today. And take another tomorrow.

Prayer: Lord, forgive me for excuses. Help me to stop it and get down to brass tacks. I will do the best things and put off the distractions, with Your help.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: