Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Title: The Model / Topic: Example

Today’s Reading: Leviticus 20; Leviticus 21; Leviticus 22; Acts 20

Scripture: Acts 20
17 From Miletus, Paul sent to Ephesus for the elders of the church. 18 When they arrived, he said to them: "You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. 19 I served the Lord with great humility and with tears, although I was severely tested by the plots of the Jews. 20 You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you...
33 "I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. 34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. 35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

Observation: I appreciate Paul and the fact that, as he states to the elders from Ephesus, he practiced what he preached. His life was consistent with his message in his care for the people -- his thoroughness of teaching, his hard work, his humility, his empathy, his generosity, and his servant spirit.

Application: Paul was not only a great example to the pastors and churches he served, but he is a wonderful model for leaders today. It is so prevalent to see church leaders with a prima donna attitude. But Paul, like Jesus, was willing to work and serve. It is important to talk the talk and walk the walk. To minister is to serve. I must never forget this.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for great models for us to follow. Jesus and Paul lived the life that showed the love of God and the true heart of a servant. May Your leaders today follow these examples and may your Church lead from a place of service and humility.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: