Saturday, April 28, 2007

Title: Fierce Helpers / Topic: The Army Of God

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 3; 1 Chronicles 12; Matthew 15

Scripture: 1 Chronicles 12:22 Day after day men came to help David, until he had a great army, like the army of God.

Observation: David's mighty men were some of the toughest warriors of history. These were fierce and skilled fighters each of whom could defeat scores or hundreds or even thousands of enemies. I noticed this verse because it likens David's army, which had his mighty men as its core, to "the army of God."

Application: What I love about this is that "the army of God" is the angelic host which battles on behalf of the saints and the kingdom of God. God is the Lord of hosts (or commander of the army) and he directs their actions for our benefit and the advancement of his objectives. Paul told us that our struggle is not against human forces but is against spiritual forces of wickedness in high places. While that is sobering, we can take great encouragement from the fact that God has a mighty army with fierce and skilled warriors who can push back and defeat any enemy. That's cause for rejoicing. And it should also draw us into prayer because that is one of the most effective means of calling "the army of God" into action. I want those fierce fighters battling on my behalf and I want to support them in their efforts.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for your mighty army that fights for me in the invisible realm. Draw me into a greater understanding of way that I may partner with them to see your kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Make me a mighty warrior along with them.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: