Monday, April 23, 2007

Title: Who Do You Love? / Topic: Following Jesus

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 27; Psalm 141; 1 Chronicles 9; Matthew 10

Scripture: Matthew 10:37-39
37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

Observation: These words of Jesus always stir me. He speaks to anyone who would follow him and he tells them that they have a choice. It is a choice about love -- who they will love and how much.

Application: It's a choice for me and you. Who do I love? Do I put Jesus first? It's easy to say "yes" but not so easy to actually do it. The biggest problem I see is not the tendency to put a family member ahead of God but to put myself ahead of God. I do that in little ways where I allow myself indulgences in laziness or lack of focus that I know are not what the Lord wants of me but I do it anyway. The Lord is calling me to a sold-out kind of spiritual walk. Putting Jesus first is essential.

Prayer: Lord, I will to put You in the first place in my life. Assist me to allow You to live Your life through me in the power of Your Spirit. I don't want to be striving in the flesh to live the life of the Spirit. That is a recipe for failure and frustration. Help me to rest in You and allow You to be my life.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Carl M. said...

Yes, we have to make a choice just like God the Father did. He chose us and gave up his son as a sacrifice so that we can be with Him. Thank you Father for loving so much.