Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Title: Merciful Judgment / Topic: Loving God

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 28; 1 Samuel 29; Psalm 109; Matthew 11

Scripture: 1 Samuel 28:15, 19
15 Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?... 19 The LORD will hand over both Israel and you to the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me..."

Observation: Saul has slipped farther and farther from the godly king that he could have been. Here he has gone to a witch to try to communicate with the Samuel from beyond the grave. Surprisingly, even to the witch, Samuel shows up and delivers a message of judgment on Saul. I have read this passage many times but what caught my eye for the first time today is the mercy we find here for Samuel tells Saul that he and his sons will die in battle but indicates that they will not go to a place of torment: "...tommorrow you and your sons will be with me..." Saul and his sons will be in the same place as Samuel, which I presume is not a fearful place. I'm not saying that Saul is in line for some great reward, for surely he will reap what he has sown, but it is clear that he is not getting sent away to damnation.

Application: I just love the mercy of God, even in the face of failure. Saul had so many struggles that I can identify with. I believe that I will meet him in heaven some day. As he left this earth, his battles were over. We will all experience this same thing some day.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for your great mercy. I depend on it. Your strength is made perfect in weakness which makes me a great candidate for your perfect strength. May I allow you to live your beautiful life through me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: