Friday, April 06, 2007

Title: A Life Of Contrasts / Topic: Discipleship

Today’s Reading: Ruth 3; Ruth 4; Psalm 64; Psalm 65; 2 Corinthians 6

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 6:10 sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

Observation: The contrasts of life for the disciple of Jesus are amazing. Here Paul lists some.
1. There is sorrow mixed with rejoicing. Sorrow for those who are hurting, lost, suffering because of bad choices, etc. There is sorrow and pain because of those who hurl attacks against the disciple. But there is rejoicing in the Lord as He sustains the disciple and the joy of sharing in the sufferings of Jesus.
2. Poor and rich at the same time. Poor because the disciple does not focus on the amassing of wealth. Poor because the disciple considers everything he has to belong to God and not to him. Poor because the disciple gives away much to help others. Yet rich because of the blessings of God and because of the truth that all of what belongs to God also belongs to the disciple as a joint heir with Jesus. Also rich because of the multiple blessings of God poured out on the life of the disciple.

Application: The life of the disciple is full of contradictions and contrasts. If I am to live this life, I must be content to live in the middle of this tension. It is a good tension because it reminds me that though I am richly blessed of God, I have not yet realized the fullness of the blessing. And this tension keeps me focused on Jesus and looking forward to the day of fulfillment, the blessed coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ when all things will be made complete.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that You lead us forward even in this life of contrasts and contradictions. I know that You have given me everything I need, even though I sometimes don't see it. Help me to live by faith and not by sight.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Non-believers live in a world of contrasts and contradictions as well. I don't know anyone who hasn't experienced both the highs and lows of life. So why not go through those life experiences with God? He provides meaning to them and uses all experiences, both good and bad, to work in us "the weight of his glory", to bring us to a higher level of character and integrity. For many non-believers, the negative experiences of life (and sometimes even the good ones) do nothing to improve them as people. I'd rather go with God!