Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Title: Even God Can't Please Everybody / Topic: Doing What's Right

Today’s Reading: Leviticus 1; Leviticus 2; Leviticus 3; Acts 13

Scripture: Acts 13:48-50
48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.
49 The word of the Lord spread through the whole region. 50 But the Jews incited the God-fearing women of high standing and the leading men of the city. They stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region.

Observation: Paul and Barnabas had been preaching in the synagogue in Pisidian Antioch but some of the Jews very jealous of their success and spoke against them abusively. At that point, Paul and Barnabas state their intention to leave the synagogue and go out to preach to the Gentiles. The Gentiles were happy to hear that and they responded. And "all who were appointed for eternal life believed." And yet there was open opposition to Paul and Barnabas and they were forced to leave.

Application: I see Paul and Barnabas doing everything within their power to respect the Jews and only turn to the Gentiles after the Jews turn them away. But with the success that they had with the Gentiles, the Jews didn't like it at all and "stirred up persecution" against them. What I get out of this is that you can do everything right and still have people mad at you. You can dot every i and cross every t and still have people who will turn on you and persecute you. If even Paul and Barnabas couldn't please everyone, I should not be surprised when people don't like me or what I am doing in Jesus name.

Prayer: Lord, help me to concentrate on you -- pleasing and following you. And help me not to worry about what others might say. I want to follow you no matter what the opposition. Help me, Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: