Friday, February 08, 2008

Title: God Showed Up / Topic: Confirmation

Today’s Reading: Leviticus 7; Leviticus 8; Leviticus 9; Acts 15

Scripture: Leviticus 9:22-24
22 Then Aaron lifted his hands toward the people and blessed them. And having sacrificed the sin offering, the burnt offering and the fellowship offering, he stepped down.
23 Moses and Aaron then went into the Tent of Meeting. When they came out, they blessed the people; and the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. 24 Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown.

Observation: This is the first day upon which Aaron and his sons have performed the sacrifices as Moses instructed them. As I read the account of all the details of the sacrificing, I wondered how Aaron and his sons felt about all of this -- the strange outfits, the odd and bloody ritual -- what were they thinking? And the people, how did this all play out to the rank and file of Israel. Then, at the end, "the glory of the Lord" shows up! "And when all the people say it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown."

Application: As a pastor, this is what I always hope for: God shows up and validates my ministry. Sometimes even when you do your best to bring the word that God has given you, it can leave you feeling a little flat and wondering, did I miss it today? But when God shows up with a strong sense of his presence, that makes all the difference! I am so sure that Moses and Aaron and the people were grateful for this tangible demonstration of God's approval and blessing. The people shouted for joy! I always want to function in such a way that the tangible sense of God's blessing is a regular, if not constant, part of the experience. I know that we must walk by faith, not by sight, but I also know that God delights to bless his people and to confirm his word to them.

Prayer: Lord, I so desire to know your glory in my daily life and especially in my ministry. May I so walk as to give you cause to confirm your work through me with signs following, as you will.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: