Thursday, February 07, 2008

Title: What A Mess! / Topic: Sin

Today’s Reading: Leviticus 4; Leviticus 5; Leviticus 6; Acts 14

Scripture: Leviticus 4:27-31
27 " 'If a member of the community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD's commands, he is guilty. 28 When he is made aware of the sin he committed, he must bring as his offering for the sin he committed a female goat without defect. 29 He is to lay his hand on the head of the sin offering and slaughter it at the place of the burnt offering. 30 Then the priest is to take some of the blood with his finger and put it on the horns of the altar of burnt offering and pour out the rest of the blood at the base of the altar. 31 He shall remove all the fat, just as the fat is removed from the fellowship offering, and the priest shall burn it on the altar as an aroma pleasing to the LORD. In this way the priest will make atonement for him, and he will be forgiven.

Observation: The regulations regarding sin offerings are given in this chapter. As I was reading, I thought of the mess and the expense of this. Think about it. If I sin, I must take a female goat without defect. I am to lay my hand on its head and slaughter it. It's a bloody mess -- quite revolting! And the cost of this goat that is sacrificed would be a hit on the finances of the family.

Application: Thank God that this system is not in effect today. "If we confess our sin, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9) The downside of this is that it can tend to cause us to minimize sin -- to think little or nothing of the impact that it has. The old system brought home the seriousness of sin in very real ways.

Prayer: Lord, thank you that Jesus took my sin upon himself and died for me. I want to walk in your grace and forgiveness and in your empowerment to live a righteous life. May I take sin very seriously and may I stay far away from sin in my life.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: