Monday, August 24, 2009

Title: "I Will Give The Order" / Topic: God's Power

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 33, 34; Psalms 74; 1 John 5

Scripture: Jeremiah 34:21, 22
21 "I will hand Zedekiah king of Judah and his officials over to their enemies who seek their lives, to the army of the king of Babylon, which has withdrawn from you. 22 I am going to give the order, declares the LORD, and I will bring them back to this city. They will fight against it, take it and burn it down. And I will lay waste the towns of Judah so no one can live there."


Observation:
The king of Babylon has been attacking Israel. They recently withdrew from Jerusalem and the people are breathing a sigh of relief. But God tells them that the attack will resume and Jerusalem will fall. What blows my mind are the words of God recorded in verse 22: "'I am going to give the order,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring them back to this city. They will fight against it, take it and burn it down. And I will lay waste the towns of Judah so no one can live there.'" God himself will give the order to the enemy armies to return to Jerusalem and defeat the forces of Israel and destroy the city!

Application:
God has the power to use whomever he pleases to do what he wants done. Sometimes we think that the evil people are beyond God's control and that we are defenseless against them. But God has ultimate control over every power and even uses the power of evil to bring about His righteous ends.

Bottom Line:
Submit to God. Trust in Him. It can bring great confidence and peace if we rest in the truth that He holds the upper hand in all things. Therefore...
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Prayer:
Lord, You are Lord of all. And I am thankful that You called me to Yourself that I might belong to You. You are my Lord. Help me always to keep in mind that You have me in Your hand and that You have ultimate command over everything that I encounter. May I always live in Your blessing, Lord.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: