Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Title: They Love To Be First / Topic: False Believers

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 50, 51; 3 John

Scripture: 3 John:9-10
9 I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will have nothing to do with us. 10 So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, gossiping maliciously about us. Not satisfied with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church.

Observation/Application: There are have been and there always will be false believers in the church. And, like Diotrephes, they sometimes end up in leadership positions. This is just a part of dealing with fallen people in a fallen world.

Bottom Line: Keep your eyes on Jesus, your feet on the ground, and your beliefs grounded on the Word. And watch out for those who present themselves as an authority disconnected from your established structure. Jesus is always right on -- other, not so much.

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for being a rock upon which we can always stand. Help me to live in submission to you and to your word and to those in authority over me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: