Monday, August 17, 2009

Title: A Real Good Shepherd / Topic: Character

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 23, 24, 25; John 19

Scripture: Jeremiah 23:1-4
1 "Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!" declares the LORD. 2 Therefore this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says to the shepherds who tend my people: "Because you have scattered my flock and driven them away and have not bestowed care on them, I will bestow punishment on you for the evil you have done," declares the LORD. 3 "I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and will bring them back to their pasture, where they will be fruitful and increase in number. 4 I will place shepherds over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing," declares the LORD.

Observation: There are people who call themselves shepherds and like to be looked upon as spiritual and superior. But, as the scripture above clearly shows, not all who are "shepherds" have a true heart for the good of the people. Many are in it for themselves. And God truly detests these so-called shepherds. God wants and will anoint true and good shepherds who will love the sheep and take care of them.

Application: My father-in-law, Ed Stoddard, passed away this weekend. Ed was actually my wife's step-father, having married my wife's mom 26 years ago. And Ed has truly been a wonderful dad to my wife and her brother and sister, and a fantastic "Grandpa Ed" to his grandkids and great grandchildren. But Ed was not a religious, churchy kind of guy. He was a man's man who taught my sons to shoot a gun and my daughter to drive a stick shift. And though he wasn't a churchy guy, he knew the Lord and he prayed in the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ. And more than that, he was kind to everyone, patient, tolerant, generous, and always hospitable. He was truly a good shepherd to everyone who had the good fortune to be related to him in any way. For example, he was always more than willing to bring my mom along with him and Barbara on trips to see us. And he often asked me how she was doing. He was a true friend to me and I'm sure that God enjoyed his company too! I've met a lot of pastors who could not hold a candle to the quality and quantity of kindness and compassion and care that Ed doled out every day just being the down-to-earth, quality gentleman that he was. I will miss him. Earth is a little poorer and heaven a little richer since Ed Stoddard passed through the veil to the other side. "I always loved you Ed. We miss you. Thanks for being a good, kind, and loving man to Barbara and to all of us."

Prayer: Lord, thank you for good people that you bring into our lives. May those of us who claim to represent you have the kind of good influence on others that Ed had. Bring comfort to those who are in bereavement, Lord.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Mike & Cynthia,

I am very sorry for your loss, but it is good to read that he was a man who cared so much for others in a truly genuine way. I pray that God will comfort your family with the knowledge of that during this time of grief and loss.

Dianna