Friday, August 14, 2009

Title: Certainties / Topic: Problems & Provisions

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 16, 17; Psalms 96; John 16

Scripture: John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Observation: Jesus looks into the future and sees a certainty of trouble -- trouble for his followers. But, even though there will be trouble, Jesus also sees a certainty of provision -- the provision of peace and overcoming.

Application: Jesus is our example in overcoming. And he encourages us to "take heart" -- that is to find courage in our hearts because we have given our hearts to the Overcoming One who is also the Soon Coming One. Praise God!

Prayer: Lord, thank you that you have overcome the world and that you offer me a provision of overcoming power and peace in the midst of whatever difficulty the world will throw at me. I rejoice in your salvation and in your staying power.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Pastor Mike,

I am glad to see that you started blogging again.

One verse that jumped at me was John 16:28 "Then the Jews led Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness the Jews did not enter the palace; they wanted to be able to eat the Passover. " Isn't sad that they were true Lamb of God, their King, was in front of them and they were rejecting it. They chose Barabbas instead. How sad for them; how happy for us!!

CM