Sunday, April 16, 2006

Title: Dotting Every "i" / Topic: Diligence

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 18; 1 Chronicles 6; Psalm 11; Matthew 3

[Today is Easter -- Resurrection Day. This is the one specific day that we celebrate Jesus’ resurrection from the dead. But as Christians, we should live every day in the power of the resurrection. It is newness of life that should characterize every person who claims Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.]

Scripture: Matthew 3:13-15
Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.

Observation: Jesus could have said, "John, you're right. Being perfect and all, I guess I don't really need baptism after all." But He didn't say that. He said, "let's do things right in every way." He didn't cut any corners. Did Jesus do that because He needed it? No, He did it for us.

Application: So any time you're tempted to say, "I don't really need to go to Bible Study", or "I can skip prayer today", or "I'm sure the meeting is for weaker Christians", think again. If Jesus didn't cut corners, then neither should we. He was perfect and sinless, yet He was concerned about meeting all the requirements, about dotting every "i" and crossing every "t". We too should strive to do everything we can to grow -- not only the right things, but doing them well and with good motives. If I carefully follow everything God says to do, in a way that others perceive my diligence, I will be giving the best possible example for others and providing the best opportunity for myself as well.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that Jesus lived His life in the way He did. On this Resurrection Day I ask that You will help Your people to walk in Jesus' resurrection power and that we would follow His example of excellence. May we closely follow our risen and victorious Champion.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: