Monday, April 17, 2006

Title: The God Moment / Topic: Opportunity

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 19; 1 Chronicles 7; Psalm 59; Matthew 4

Scripture: Matthew 4:18, 21
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen...
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets...

Observation: Jesus is just walking along the seashore not far from where He lives. He sees some fishermen. The first two are brothers named Peter and Andrew. Another fishing crew is up ahead. Two more brothers, James and John, are working with their father. Just some guys fishing, right?

Application: Of course we know these fishermen. Peter, James, and John became the inner circle of Jesus’ disciples and Andrew also was a disciple. But in the story in today’s reading, they were just some guys on the seashore who Jesus happened to see. However, Jesus was in tune with His Father and this was a God moment. He called to these four men. He could have just said, “hello, how’s the fishing today?” but instead Jesus said, “follow me” and the rest is history. How many people will I meet today that need to hear something from God? Could I be the one to speak a message from God to them? Could I be like Jesus and say just the thing that calls them to a completely new life? What most people would see as just a stroll along the beach, Jesus understood to be an opportunity for a divine appointment.

Prayer: Lord, open me up to see the divine appointments You bring across my path. I don’t want to miss hearing from You and bringing Your message to those I meet along the way. Give me the vision to see and the words to say. I ask You to use me in drawing men and women, boys and girls to You. Help me not to miss those who may be like Peter, Andrew, James, and John -- just ordinary people who You call to an extraordinary destiny. Use me, Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: