Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Title: Perfection Required / Topic: Divine Qualification

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 20; 1 Samuel 21; Psalm 34; Matthew 5

Scripture: Matthew 5:17, 20-22
17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them...
20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
21 "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment... ...anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Observation: Law vs. Grace. There have been debates over this subject as long as there has been church. Jesus says that He didn't come to get rid of the law but to fulfill it. And verse 20 is a doosie. If I can't outperform a Pharisee, I can't make it in the kingdom of God! Then Jesus goes even further -- He expands the meaning of the law beyond action (murder) into attitudes (hate) and words ("fool"), making it even more impossible for me to get it done. What am I to do?

Application: I think that Jesus is making a point that it is impossible for humans to get to heaven on the basis of good behavior. He says that our actions have to be absolutely perfect, plus our thoughts need to be completely pure and positive, plus our words must always bless! If this level of perfection is the standard for heaven, I'm doomed! And that is exactly the point that Jesus is making. I am totally dependent on Jesus for my divine qualification. Outside of Him, there is no basis for me to stand before God. The sooner I understand that, the more I can make use of what Jesus has to offer. He fulfilled the law and the prophets completely. I can't improve on it. I try to walk in obedience to the law as Jesus explained it, but I fail, and my failings illustrate my need of Jesus. What am I to do? Call on Jesus. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness." He carries me into the place of right standing before God. I just have to get to Him, as I trust in and submit to Him, He will take me the rest of the way.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for Jesus. Thank You for the provision of a way to come before You without shame and without fear. I trust in Jesus as my Savior and Lord and I ask You to help me to trust and obey Him in all things. Thank You for establishing righteous standard to create a perfect heaven. And thank You for creating a way through Jesus by which I can come there. May I walk in a way that pleases You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: