Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Title: Excuses For Sin / Topic: Rationalizing

Today's Reading: 1 Samuel 13; 1 Chronicles 2; 1 Chronicles 3; 2 Corinthians 12

[1 Chronicles chapters 2 & 3 are pretty boring. There may be a few interesting details, but by and large, it's tough reading. Just get through it.]

Scripture: 1 Samuel 13:7-13
7 ...Saul remained at Gilgal, and all the troops with him were quaking with fear. 8 He waited seven days, the time set by Samuel; but Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and Saul's men began to scatter. 9 So he said, "Bring me the burnt offering and the fellowship offerings." And Saul offered up the burnt offering. 10 Just as he finished making the offering, Samuel arrived, and Saul went out to greet him. 11 "What have you done?" asked Samuel. Saul replied, "When I saw that the men were scattering, and that you did not come at the set time, and that the Philistines were assembling at Micmash, 12 I thought, 'Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the LORD's favor.' So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering." 13 "You acted foolishly," Samuel said. "You have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you..."

Observation: This is a tough situation for Saul. He is badly outnumbered and forced to wait for Samuel who is late in coming. Of course, waiting around with nothing to do with an overwhelming adversary in your face is not good for morale! So Saul's undisciplined and unarmed troops start to melt away. (Actually, they did have rakes, shovels, hoes, pitchforks, and axes to fight with! Not good!) Like I said, this is a tough situation. So Saul impulsively decides to do something (since doing nothing isn't panning out so well) and he offers a burnt offering (which is not an item on the King of Israel Job Description). In fact, this is clearly a job only for the priest. Samuel shows up as soon as Saul finishes the offering. Saul tries to rationalize his actions and even blames Samuel (see verse 11) and insists he "felt compelled to offer the burnt offering." The result is his rejection as king. It's sad.

Application: Rationalizing: it's something most of us are pretty good at. But when we rationalize, we are trying to create reasons to make something that's not quite right sound like it's OK. Most of the time, rationalizing is a form of verbal gymnastics to justify sin. That's what it was for Saul. Saul did not stop and pray. He didn't ask God for wisdom. He didn't try to rally the troops with a stirring speech. He needed something exciting that would get the troops' attention. So he used a sacrifice to God as a tactic, or gimmick to mitigate his military losses. And that is not acceptable for a leader. God is not something that we can use for our ends, even if those ends are good. God can use me but I must never think that I can use Him. If I ever slip into thinking that, I am in danger. Saul neutralized his future and ultimately lost his kingdom and his life because of it.

Prayer: Lord, help me to pay attention to what You tell me to do and to do it carefully and diligently. May I not deviate from Your instruction into my own designs and schemes. I want to be a man after Your heart, that is pursuing You and Your ways with everything that is in me. Strengthen me for this pursuit.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: