Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Title: The Things We Trust / Topic: Focus

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 11; 1 Samuel 12; 1 Chronicles 1; 2 Corinthians 11

Scripture: 1 Samuel 12:21 "Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless."

Observation: These words of Samuel bring me back. Other than God, there is nothing that can do me any good. I can seek after many things: money, stuff, toys, pleasures, experiences, friends. And none of these is bad in and of itself. But they are not going to carry me through the tough times of life. They are not going to rescue me. Only God can do that. Turning away from God is something that is easy to do. Something or someone catches our eye and our attention is drawn to seek after that. We lose our concentration and the things of the Lord get left behind. But the truth of the matter is that anything that draws my attention from God becomes a useless idol to me. And as simplistic as it sounds, it can’t do me any good because it’s useless.

Application: Trust in the Lord. Keep your focus sharp and your purpose clear. Don’t lose your concentration -- only God is worthy of your worship. Only God is worthy of your life’s pursuit. There is no shortage of stuff clamoring for your attention. But there is a still, small Voice that is the only one really worth listening to.

Prayer: Lord, help me to hear Your voice through the noisy clutter. I want to set aside time for You each day and allow my heart to settle into that place that centers and grounds my soul on the greater purpose for my life. I want to be rich in You and so connected to You that I clearly hear Your voice, know Your will, and feel Your heartbeat.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: