Thursday, April 13, 2006

Title: Faith & Action / Topic: Conviction

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 14; 1 Chronicles 4; 2 Corinthians 13

Scripture: 1 Samuel 14:6 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, "Come, let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few."

Observation: I just love Jonathan. He is a goodhearted and brave young man who has a firm grip on faith. His statement here that “Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether my many or by few” shows such a great understanding of how God works on a practical level. I mean, Jonathan is not just talking theory here. He is contemplating an attack by himself and his armor bearer on an enemy outpost at the top of a cliff. In other words, he is willing to lay his life on the line based on his belief in God. That is conviction.

Application: It is easy to talk about God and to spout off statements of belief. “God is in control.” “I’m in God’s hands.” “With God’s help, anything is possible.” But it’s actually acting on my beliefs that really counts. The truth is, we only really believe the stuff we do. If we’re not willing to act on a belief, we should reevaluate whether we really believe it or not. I suggest that we should make sure it is consistent with God word and God’s ways, and then if it is, follow it with conviction.

Prayer: Lord, I want to be a man of action like Jonathan was. I want to stand up to my enemy and take him on in Your strength. Help me to lay hold of You and move boldly forward with strength, courage and conviction. May I walk in faith, not listening to fear.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: