Monday, April 10, 2006

Title: Fake Humility / Topic: Leadership

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 8; 1 Samuel 9; 1 Samuel 10; 2 Corinthians 10

Scripture: 1 Samuel 9:21 Saul answered, "But am I not a Benjamite, from the smallest tribe of Israel, and is not my clan the least of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin? Why do you say such a thing to me?"

Observation: When we first meet Saul, we are told he is the son of a respected "man of standing" and that there is no equal to him because he is "a head taller" than everybody else. Apparently that is the only real distinction that stands out (literally!) about Saul. But what really caught my attention is his response to Samuel here. Samuel has just told Saul that he is the choice for the new king. And look at Saul's response above. Re-read it now. Look carefully. It seems like humility at first glance. But there is nothing in there about how he personally is not up to the task. Read it again. It's all just a show if you ask me. It's the obligatory, "gee whiz, I can't believe you want li'l ole me to be king!?!" And, apparently, nobody picked up on it (and I wouldn't have either except that I'm looking for bad stuff in Saul since I know that he turns out so bad).

Application: True personal humility is a prerequisite for successful spiritual leadership. If a person starts by thinking that they would make a pretty good leader, they have a long way to go. People who feel ready aren't. But people who have had some tough experience and who have gotten in touch enough with themselves to know the bad stuff inside themselves are likely to say, "I don't think that I am ready to be a leader." That's a person that God can use because they don't fully trust in themselves and would likely turn to God. Saul did trust in himself as the story will show. He did what he thought best rather than waiting and obeying and trusting. I wonder, do I trust too much in myself? Do you?

Prayer: Lord, I am amazed that You have called me to lead. But sometimes I can get caught up in it all and just go on autopilot. I can forget to ask You what You want me to do. Help me, Lord, to be Your servant and to do Your will. And keep me aware of my complete inadequacy to do anything of eternal value without Your help. May I always walk humbly with You guiding and empowering me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leaders that have little or no humility aren't to be trusted. In a pinch they will do what's best for themselves and not necessarily what's best for those who follow them. They are more interested in their image (saving their face) than in concerning themselves with those under their care for whom they bear responsibility. Cynthia Stipech

Mike Stipech said...

Thanks, Steven, for your input. You raise a good point. There certainly needs to be a balance between humility and confidence. I would revise my statement to this: "someone who starts by thinking they're ready isn't."

It is possible, once having gone through the fire of testing, to have an appropriate awareness that I am ready, having been made ready by God for the task at hand. But this is different from various manifestations of personal cockiness or arrogance which I identified in Saul.