Saturday, August 19, 2006

Title: Catch Anything? / Topic: Human Effort

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 45; Jeremiah 46; Jeremiah 47; Psalm 105; John 21

Scripture: John 21:2-3
2 Simon Peter, Thomas (called Didymus), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together. 3 "I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

Observation: The disciples have seen the Lord alive after they watched Him die on the cross. And Jesus told them to wait until He gave them instructions. But they grow tired of waiting for something to happen and Peter (who else?!) finds a few others quite ready to join him in a fishing expedition. But their best efforts at something they were supposed to be experts in proved fruitless.

Application: It may be frustrating waiting on God for results to show up (don't I know that!), but my own human efforts at diversion or human attempts to produce some level of personal success, will end up in frustration. (It is pretty fantastic that Jesus shows up and teaches them that even in the fishing business, it is better to consult a Jewish Carpenter than to rely solely on one's own abilities and skills.)

Bottom line: Wait on the Lord. Work that He does in a short time will bring in far greater results than my lifetime of independent human effort.

Prayer: Lord, help me to learn to wait patiently on You and then to work faithfully with You, giving everything I've got to accomplish everything You have for me to do.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen

2 comments:

Cynthia Stipech said...

This is a lesson that takes a lifetime to learn. I still have times when God has to remind me that it's His efforts through me and not the efforts of my own ability that produce the lasting fruit.

Mike Stipech said...

I'm sorry it is taking you so long. I have this one down.

NOT!

:)