Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Title: Immovable / Topic: God's Steadfastness

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 18; Jeremiah 19; Jeremiah 20; Psalm 93; John 17

Scripture: Psalm 93
1 The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the LORD is robed in majesty
and is armed with strength.
The world is firmly established;
it cannot be moved.
2 Your throne was established long ago;
you are from all eternity.
3 The seas have lifted up, O LORD,
the seas have lifted up their voice;
the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
4 Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea—
the LORD on high is mighty.
5 Your statutes stand firm;
holiness adorns your house
for endless days, O LORD.

Observation: What a beautiful Psalm! I am so aware of my need to be reminded of the steadfastness of God -- that He shall not be moved. Our world is in turmoil with nasty political conflict at home, and ominously threatening terrorist enemies abroad. So often, the allies of hell seem to be winning! It's alarming.

That's the picture of the "thunder of the great waters" -- the sea of humanity in great turmoil. Thundering with waves of violence, hatred, death, and destruction. But God is more mighty than any ocean. His throne is firmly established, His "statutes stand firm" -- His rule and rules will prevail, no matter what.

Application: I must fix my eyes on Him and not let the turmoil of the waves get me down. I tend to be a news-aholic and listening to the doom and gloom of what's going on in the world can be upsetting. I need to limit the amount of time I give to that stuff and spend more time getting lifted up with God. And I also need to pray for our world. It needs intercession right now in the worst way.

Prayer: Lord, help me to not be a spectator to the destruction derby that is this world. Help me to be a warrior to seek Your face and pray in the Divine Deliverance and Heavenly Helpers we so desperately need. Lord, help me to stand on You and not be swayed by the news of the day. May I use what I hear and know to be Your agent amidst the ocean waves.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

The steadfatness of God---a subject that not only brings me great comfort but one that should inspire worship in all of us as well. His steadfastness is a comfort because He is a good, loving, forgiving, righteous, powerful God. I'm so glad those qualities never change. God is the only person I know that doesn't have bad mood swings.