Friday, August 18, 2006

Title: The Second Chance / Topic: Grace

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 26; Jeremiah 35; Jeremiah 36; John 20

Scripture: John 20:24-27
24 Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

Observation: Why Thomas was not there when the others saw the Lord is something we are not told. But it caused him to have to rely on the other disciples account of what they saw. It wasn't enough for Thomas. "I have to see and touch it for myself," was his statement. In fact, Thomas willfully refused to believe if his conditions weren't met.

And amazingly, Jesus met Thomas, even in his stubborn unbelief. Jesus shows up just for Thomas. And he rebukes him for his doubt.

Application: I love the fact that Jesus came back for Thomas. I have a little Thomas in me. It comforts me to know that my Lord gives a second chance to the doubter. In His grace, there is another opportunity to get with it and lay hold of faith.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord. Your faithfulness, mercy, and grace are amazing. It is a great comfort to know that You will reach out to us in our need and gives us the opportunity to respond. Help me not to take too long.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: