Thursday, August 17, 2006

Title: The Secret Disciple / Topic: Fear

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 23; Jeremiah 24; Jeremiah 25; John 19

Scripture: John 19:38-40
38 Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jews. With Pilate's permission, he came and took the body away. 39 He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. 40 Taking Jesus' body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs.

Observation: Joseph of Arimathea was a secret disciple -- he believed in Jesus, but he was emotionally dependent upon the respect of the Jewish community that opposed Jesus, so he hid it. Apparently Nicodemus was about the same. What I find sad is that these two men missed out on having a great relationship with Jesus. Having to hide and pretend that they didn't approve of Him must have been hard, and humiliating. But it was more important to be accepted by their friends, so they kept it secret. What a pity.

Application: I can sometimes act like a secret disciple, especially around those who are hostile toward Jesus. What I want to be is living out that great relationship with Jesus in an open an vibrant and visible way.

Prayer: Help me Lord, to be motivated more by love for You than by fear of men. May I be bold and courageous to gladly claim You as my Lord no matter what.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I also tend to be one that just keeps my mouth shut when I'm in an environment of people who are hostile to the gospel. Our culture also adds to the problem because it teaches us that everyone has a right to hold their own beliefs and everyone should "mind their own business". This attitude makes it easy to NOT say something. But our world needs our light. We need to obey Jesus and be witnesses to those around us. There's also a passage in the Bible (Ezekiel, I think) where it says that if we don't warn evil people and speak of the Lord, their blood will be on our hands and we will be judged for not speaking up. I don't want to be in that boat!

Anonymous said...

Being an undercover Christian is eaiser and less threatening to those around you. Yet, I have noticed that when I have partaken in his divine nature others around me take notice. Some want to know more and are attracted to His Sprirt, while others stay away.
My prayer is that I find the boldness to walk and trust in his Sprirt.