Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Title: Devoted To Closeness / Topic: Intimacy

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 28; Jeremiah 29; Jeremiah 30; 1 John 3

Scripture: Jeremiah 30:21
'...who is he who will devote himself
to be close to me?'
declares the LORD.

Observation: This scripture so speaks to me! This is the deepest cry of my heart -- to be intimate with God. This requires being devoted to the purpose of closeness to God. It is my desire to live in continuous deep intimacy with my Lord.

Application: How to do it? That is another thing. My greatest obstacle to this is my own tendency toward busy-ness. I have an amazing propensity to get focused on dozens of details on scores of project in a variety of areas in my life. Even my lists have lists!

The bottom line for me is this: I have to consciously wind down my existing projects without taking on new ones, and in this process I must give increased time to the disciplines of prayer, worship, silence, solitude, study, reading, and thinking. This verse speaks of a person devoting himself to "being close" to God. Lord help me to be devoted to that.

Prayer: Yes, Lord, help me. I want to be a man of the deepest and closest connection to You. I want to know You, to hear Your voice, to experience Your passions and Your power. Help me to find the secret and quiet place to be close to You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I love your passion for the Lord. Your life is lived consistent with this desire. All who know you are blessed by that. Your family has been the most blessed of all to have a man who humbly admits his mistakes when he makes them, and lives in accordance with the principles he espouses. It's a rare brand of integrity and one of the reasons I admire you so.