Saturday, August 26, 2006

Title: Memorable Words / Topic: Legacy

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 50; Jeremiah 51; 3 John 1

Scripture: Jeremiah 51:64 ...The words of Jeremiah end here.

Observation: Jeremiah was a great man -- a servant of God -- a prophet -- a man of courage -- a great man. He was a man who spoke words of truth that were largely not well received. He was hated, threatened, imprisoned, feared. Jeremiah was thrown into a muddy hole and had to be rescued with ropes pulled up by thirty men. He gave private audiences to kings. His words were largely misunderstood and ignored. And the scripture above is the place in the Bible where the words of Jeremiah come to an end.

Application: This will happen to all of us. There is a moment in time when our words will come to an end. There will be an instant when I will have spoken my last word.

Yet Jeremiah's words live on. They live on in the Bible. They live on in history because some of his words have yet to be fulfilled.

What about my words? Will they live on beyond my final breath? I pray that my words live on in the lives of the people who heard them: my wife, my children and grandchildren; my colaborers in the work of the gospel; the people I have had the privilege of pastoring over the years; and friends, neighbors, acquaintances, strangers.

For me the bottom line is this: Make my words count. Fill everything that I say with meaning, emotion, passion, and intention.

Prayer: May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, my God and my redeemer.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

It's amazing that God can speak something so profound from such a short, seemingly unnecessary verse! God is so good! Loved the post.