Friday, August 25, 2006

Title: The Un-Recommendation / Topic: Testimony

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 37; Jeremiah 38; Jeremiah 39; Psalm 79; 2 John 1

Scripture: Psalm 79:9-10
9 Help us, O God our Savior,
for the glory of your name;
deliver us and forgive our sins
for your name's sake.
10 Why should the nations say,
"Where is their God?"

Observation: "Where is their God?" That is a question that should not be asked by anyone observing God's people. Unfortunately, many of God's people's lives do not do much to recommend God. Doubt, disobedience, lack of discipline, poor character, bad attitudes -- these are a few of the characteristics that the observer might see in the lives of "Christians" today. And when the people of God do not honor God with their lives, they make themselves an un-recommendation or an un-advertisement.

Application: Why should anyone say, "Where is his God?" when observing me? Sadly, sometimes I could give cause for such a question. Why? How? By failing to lay hold of the great and precious promises of God and by living a life on a merely human plane due to a lack of faith.

God has called me to be supernatural -- to live on a higher plane.

Prayer: Lord help me to live where You live. To lift up my eyes to You, my Helper, my Savior, my Redeemer. May I submit and surrender to Your awesome power and not be dragged down by my own pride, greed, lust, or sloth. May I not be afraid to give up my stuff (which is not much) to gain Your stuff (which is awesome), so that others may clearly see You active and powerful through my life.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I heard a quote once that some famous person said, "If these Christians hope to convince me, they will have to notify their faces that they have good news". All of us fail at being a good witness sometimes but the most important thing is the direction of our lives. There is another quote I love: "Don't let your successes go to your head and don't let your failures go to your heart". When we fail we need to heed the latter part of thaat quote and remember that "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus".