Monday, August 21, 2006

Title: Keep It Simple / Topic: Truth

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 21; Jeremiah 24; Jeremiah 27; Psalm 118; 1 John 2

Scripture: 1 John 2:24 See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.

Observation: God deposited truth into each believer as a part of that person coming to know Him. The deposit of truth was necessary so the person could respond to God and repent of sin. According to this verse, the basic truths that each believer receives when he is first saved are something that he is to work to preserve within him. This keeps the person firmly connected to Jesus and the Father.

Application: There are many "new revelations" that people receive. Sometimes, these new ideas cause them to leave the foundational truths that brought them to God in the first place. I must guard my heart to preserve the deposit of truth that God has placed there and not let any new trend or fad push out the basic truth that saved me in the first place.

Bottom line: Remember the basic truth that saves: Jesus Christ is the only One by which we may be saved. I am saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Lord, help me to always keep Jesus and love for Him as the focal point of my spiritual life. I want to walk in simple faith in Him and avoid the complicated philosophies and nuanced imaginations of those who would effect confusion and lead people astray. Thank You that as I keep my eyes on Jesus, my heart on You, and my mind in the Word, I am safe and secure.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Cynthia Stipech said...

The following verses also struck me. John keeps the Christian walk so simple! You are known to be a true believer by your actions more than by your words. "3 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did."

mau said...

hey pastor!!!