Monday, November 13, 2006

Title: My Call / Topic: Ministry

Today’s Reading: Job 39; Job 40; 1 Corinthians 13; 1 Corinthians 14

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 14:3-4, 26
3 But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4 ...he who prophesies edifies the church.

Observation: Paul is addressing the Corinthian Christians on spiritual gifts as they have been having some problems in the church with a confusing misuse of the gifts. In these verses, he is contrasting the person who prophesies, speaking in the language of the hearers, and the one who speaks in tongues, speaking in an unknown language.

Application: As I read these words, they speak to me. My call is that of the one who prophesies. I want to speak to people for their strengthening, encouragement, and comfort, edifying (that is beautifully building up) the church. But it's not just the pastor that has this call. Every person who speaks as a Christian in ministry, whether as a teacher, counselor, or mentor, has this call. We must take responsibility to watch our words and make the most of the opportunities that God gives us to gift our words to our hearers.

Prayer: Lord, give me wisdom and courage to fully answer the call that You have placed on my life. Make my message effective for building up people. Lord, I want to be the blessing that You want me to be.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen. If we would all take the fact that we are called to ministry seriously and work to discover and perfect the gifts God has placed in us to accomplish our call, the church would cease to be weak and irrelevent to most people.