Saturday, November 18, 2006

Title: The Test / Topic: Self-Examination

Today’s Reading: Psalm 124; 2 Corinthians 11; 2 Corinthians 12; 2 Corinthians 13

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

Observation: Paul instructs the Corinthian Christians to "examine" themselves. They are to look at their lives and examine and test themselves to see whether they are in the faith.

Application: These days there is not much encouragement to do this. In fact, there is a general assumption that those who attend church are truly Christians. But are they? Are you? I think it is a good thing for every person to ask, "What is my standing before God?" "Am I living my life with Jesus as Lord or am I self-directing?" If every Christian would be conscientious to ask these questions and repent if the answers cause concern, there would be a purifying effect on the church. Let's examine ourselves, be earnest, and repent.

Prayer: Lord, help us to keep a watchful eye on our lives and not live on autopilot. May we perform regular checkups to insure that we are indeed following You and not simply walking our own way with a "Christian" label on it. Show me areas and ways in which I am out of sync with You and help me line up with Your will and ways.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

This verse struck me too. It is one of the sections I wrote on as well. We all need to be encouraged to do this more.