Sunday, November 19, 2006

Title: Change Required / Topic: Heaven

Today’s Reading: Matthew 1; Matthew 2; Matthew 3; Matthew 4

Scripture: Matthew 4:17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."

Observation: It's a simple message: "Heaven is close, make your changes now!"

Application: If you want to make it into heaven, change is required. I can self-justify all I want, but that won't alter the reality of my deep imperfection. Only the perfect is allowed into heaven. Any imperfection, no matter how minute, would pollute heaven and it wouldn't be heaven any more. So change is in order. Get ready to let God do some radical heart surgery. Here am I, Lord. Strap me in.

Prayer: Lord, I thank You that heaven is a place of perfection with no impurity allowed. And I thank You that You created a means by which imperfect people like me could be changed so we qualify to get in. Do Your wonderful work of change in my life. May I walk in repentance as a way of life.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen! I'm a candidate for change too. Thinking we have it all together is the most deadly of sins (arrogance) because it blinds us to the knowledge that we need to change. Christ changes us from glory to glory-- we can never become perfect on our own but he requires that we don't just receive his grace without changing. He requires us to grow in grace.