Thursday, November 23, 2006

Title: Ultimate Justice / Topic: Righteous Suffering

Today’s Reading: Matthew 14; Matthew 15; Matthew 16

Scripture: Matthew 14:10-11
10 [The king] had John beheaded in the prison. 11 His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who carried it to her mother.

Observation: John is killed -- cruelly beheaded. This is the man of whom Jesus had said there was none greater. But being great and being recommended by Jesus could not stop him from being murdered. And this great man is killed because of pathetic people: a girl's sensuous dance that caused the king's rash promise that was used for the bitter wife's vengeance. What a waste!

Application: When I read this scripture, I am reminded that my reward, like John's, is not in this world. It is in the next world. And John is remembered as a great man. We don't even know the name of the girl whose dance cause John's death. It seems strange and very sad that such a great man died in such an ignoble way. But I also believe that the great reward that John received on the other side made his earthly suffering fade to a pale memory.

Bottom line: Live for God, accept suffering, do what is right. God will straighten it all out in the end.

Prayer: I thank You, Lord that there is a system of ultimate justice and reward that will bring everything in the universe into perfect balance and order. I trust You with my life and my destiny. Help me to keep my eyes on the ultimate and not on the immediate.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

This should serve as a lesson to us also that we are not exempt from suffering even when we are anointed by God and endued with his power.