Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Title: The Critics / Topic: Pleasing God

Today’s Reading: Matthew 11; Matthew 12; Matthew 13

Scripture: Matthew 11:16 "To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others: 17 " 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge and you did not mourn.' 18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." '

Observation: Jesus is commenting on the critics of His day. They didn’t like John the Baptist because he was too stiff. They didn’t like Jesus because He was too loose.

Application: Some people will complain and find fault no matter what. I don’t know why I think it should be different for me, but I do. I think that I should be able to get everybody’s approval, at some level. Of course I am disappointed.

Bottom line: Stop worrying about pleasing people. Jesus couldn’t do it so neither can we. Just make your performance for an audience of one: God. Please Him and it doesn’t matter who you displease.

Prayer: Lord, I do want to please You. Help me to lose the fear of man that sometimes dictates my actions and even causes me to back off some things I should do. May I have the confidence in knowing that You are my judge and my standard.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

So true. I think most of us struggle with the fear of man. We don't want to be disapproved of. But God is our audience. He is the only one whose disapproval has serious consequences.