Sunday, November 12, 2006

Title: A Gaping Hole / Topic: The Church

Today’s Reading: Job 37; Job 38; 1 Corinthians 12

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Observation: This is how it is supposed to be in the church. But I do not think this is how it is. If we really understood and accepted this as true, we would be much more involved with and dedicated to others in our church family.

Application: As it is, I think most Christians are just fine to let the other people suffer. I don't mean to say that we get any sort of perverse pleasure out of it -- we feel sorry when people in the church family have some sort of suffering. But we don't really want to discomfort ourselves when addressing the suffering of others. "I'll pray for you," we may say. But if what is necessary to help them might really cost me, I'll just stop with the prayer thing.

Bottom line: I think the church in general has a weakness in the area of understanding the depths of unity. The implications of Paul's statement are truly staggering. But I think we are a long way from getting it.

Prayer: Lord, help us to get it -- to truly be willing to lay our lives down for our friends. Give Your church the kind of love that Jesus prayed for in the Garden.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

We wrote on the same section of scripture again. Mine has a slightly different direction but the same basic message. Oh how we need to accept brotherly responsibility for one another! What power could we unleash if we truly worked together in unity? I think it would stagger us.